O God, You are my God; early will I seek You;
My soul thirsts for You; my flesh longs for You
In a dry and thirsty land where there is no water.
Psalm 63:1
We have a 95 foot hand-dug well that runs off solar power. When the sun is up, it pumps water into our tanks. The problem is, if there's no water in the well... we may just have to dig a bit deeper.
There is a borehole right next to our house that the local people (women and children) come to with their jerry cans. Some organization set up this borehole and pump long before we came. I don't know how deep it is, but much deeper than our well in order to supply water for the surrounding village. It is a serious workout to pump enough water to fill just one jerry can. Tyler tried it once. He waited an hour in line for his turn to pump. (Of course, the generous locals wanted him to go first, but he refused.) By the time he was done pumping, he was sweating, out of breath, and thought his arms would fall off. Mind you - I'm not saying my husband is a wimp - but this is a family chore for a mom or ten year old girl!
So... our well has been dry for 2 days. There has been talks of digging deeper.
Spiritually, this speaks volumes to me.
In America, we went to an amazing church that taught the Scriptures faithfully, line by line, week in, week out. Our children were taught amazingly well in their classes, and babies were loved and cared for in order to allow the parents an hour of no-interruptions to study the Bible and worship the Lord. WE WERE BLESSED BEYOND MEASURE.
And now, we are in a new season with God. We continue to be blessed beyond measure, but the tables have been turned. I have come to the realization that it will be years before I am able to sit and "be fed" in church. There comes a time, when you've been fed well, you've been taught how to use the fork, even how to prepare the meal, and it's time to feed yourself! I'm there. I need to dig this well a little deeper, pump a bit harder. It requires more work, but the results are satisfying and refreshing.
...Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
Philippians 2:12
Yes, we are saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ. No denying that! We also need to consider our own salvation and work it out in fear of defiling the Name that now defines our lives.
So what does that look like practically? (In addition to going to church regularly to fellowship and learn and worship God with other believers...) Wake before the children, and DIG into the Scriptures. (I know sometimes this is easier said than done. I'm preaching to myself here!) Tyler suggested choosing a book, and tear it apart like I will be teaching it to someone else. I have begun dissecting the book Joshua this way. We also listen to Bible Studies online.
| Early Morning |
As far as worshipping the Lord in song surrounded by a sanctuary full of believers... I think I miss this most! We sing in our new church, but we are ministering to Africans. It's loud and clappy and in a different language. I clap and sing along, knowing this style blesses them, and that's what we're here to do! So I sing American-style to the Lord at home. God doesn't prefer English over Acholi. He doesn't prefer quiet and reserved over clapping and jumping.
God is a Spirit: and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth.
John 4:24
Pretty simple. I do this calmly accompanied by an acoustic guitar and hands raised. My friend Caroline does this with a loud "Iye- Iye- Iye" type shrill, beating drum, and pounding feet. Our hearts are both worshipping Him in spirit and in truth. It means the same to Jesus.
So I ask you to pray for us as we are in this new position in our life with Jesus. HE must be the supply and the well we are tapping into. We will never be lacking anything if we keep asking for the filling of the Holy Spirit, and trust His promise to overflow these otherwise-empty vessels. I encourage you also to pray for your own pastors and pastors' wives. They are in this same position. We thank God for those who invested so selflessly into our lives. The Apostle Paul said...
Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
1 Corinthians 11:1
We've followed some dear saints that imitate Christ in their lives.
By the GRACE OF GOD, we hope to be this for the ones God has sent us to.
I miss you Jen! Blessed by this today! We will be praying about the well. Levi turned four this weekend! Gia spoke in church this week, she created a bottle drive to benefit Harmony Outreach to help orphaned children. She did this in part because she desires to be a missionary "like the Goodens" even though we are here, even though she is one little girl, even though the need is more than we can meet...we serve a VERY capable God. The response is amazing and this is why God put you in our lives...to encourage us in taking steps today, now, not to wait for the "big thing" we will do for Him. I am humbled in my walk as I see what He is doing through you. Thank you Goodens family for being faithful!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Samantha
As I read your Blogs my heart is sometimes heavy for you, Praying for you Both, If the Lord has let you he won't leave you.. Prayers for a deeper well, and all that is needed. Praying for a peace in Your heart... I Love You Dear Friend, May the Lord keep his arms tight Around The Gooden Family... Marlene P.
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't trade this position for the life of me. It's so good to NEED to depend on the Lord with no other option. Thanks so much for your prayers and sweet words, Marlene. God bless you!
ReplyDelete