Matthew 28:19-20
Quite a few years ago, a man named Wes came to our church in Farmington. He and his wife were ministering at the time in Northern Uganda. He was setting up secure compounds for the "night commuter children." Kids would have to leave home at dusk, sleep in compounds surrounded by razor wire and guards with guns. There were rebels (LRA) in the land kidnapping children and killing their families at an overwhelming rate. We began to pray. My heart broke for these children halfway across the world. At another time, someone else came to our church talking about Africa and the LRA. They were selling military berets in order to raise funds for the work being done to protect the people. We bought two for our boys, and continued to pray. This was WAY before I ever dreamed of moving here. And... knowing the history of Uganda... it was a HUGE reason why I didn't want to come at first.
Thankfully, the rebels led by an evil demon possessed man, Joseph Kony, have fled the country, and that horrific time is over.
Last week, I received a not-so-encouraging email from someone saying they couldn't understand why we came here. I figured maybe I read into it wrongly. Even still, not everyone will always agree with what God has for ME. He didn't tell THEM what I should do. I thought about it though... four people?... what in the world are we doing here?... is this it?
A few minutes later, Catherine came to work and I said, "How was your night?"
She said, "I didn't sleep. I had a dream that Joseph Kony was back. Tyler was yelling to me, 'GET IN THE CAR!' I woke up crying and crying and I didn't go to sleep after that."
God's voice is so clear sometimes. "This is why you are here."
The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me;
Because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek;
He hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
To proclaim liberty to the captives,
And the opening of the prison to them that are bound;
To comfort all that mourn;
...To give unto them beauty for ashes,
The oil of joy for mourning,
The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness;
That they might be called trees of righteousness,
The planting of the Lord,
That He might be glorified.
Isaiah 61:1-3
Catherine continued to tell me her story... tears streaming...
She said people would be out working in their gardens, rebels would sneak up with guns, and they had to follow or be killed. Catherine was abducted when she was about 10. She said she was with them for 2 months, but it felt like 5 years. She escaped with another girl, and they wandered in fear and hunger and thirst for 2 weeks before coming upon anyone. They were brought to safety. Catherine was never physically harmed. She knows this was a miracle. I hugged her there in my kitchen, and we prayed for justice, an end to the evil, and for her mind to be renewed. The picture at the top is of Paul, her three year old son. He was playing with the military beret one day, and the whole situation came full circle.
I haven't met a person yet without a story of how they were affected by this war. It's not a free topic of conversation. I don't ask questions... I just listen when someone wants to talk.
Julius was just talking about his parents. His mother died when he was about 9. His dad was taken by the rebels a few years ago, and he doesn't know if he is now fighting with them or dead.
Bismark was 2, and his brother was 4, when their father was drug out of their hut and killed. Bismark's mom was pregnant at the time, so they spared her life and her two small sons. They lived in a refugee camp from that time on. Bismark's mom still lives there because she has had no way to start her own life back up again. But... she still owns the land her old hut was on. So, on Tuesday, we are having her land plowed and seeded for her. In two years, she will have a working cassava farm (very low maintenance cash crop), and she can rebuild her home. Praise the Lord! As a gift of her appreciation, she gave Tyler a chicken.
So these are the people we live with. Broken people that have - by the grace of God - made it through and continue to praise Jesus. We know much about the Bible, and they're just beginning to learn. We can teach them Scripture. They can teach us about the God of the Bible Who provides their daily bread when they are hungry, Who is their shield and strong tower when the enemy attacks, Who is their healer when there is no good doctor. I'm BLESSED to sit under this teaching, and BLESSED to be a part of their lives.
I haven't met a person yet without a story of how they were affected by this war. It's not a free topic of conversation. I don't ask questions... I just listen when someone wants to talk.
Julius was just talking about his parents. His mother died when he was about 9. His dad was taken by the rebels a few years ago, and he doesn't know if he is now fighting with them or dead.
Bismark was 2, and his brother was 4, when their father was drug out of their hut and killed. Bismark's mom was pregnant at the time, so they spared her life and her two small sons. They lived in a refugee camp from that time on. Bismark's mom still lives there because she has had no way to start her own life back up again. But... she still owns the land her old hut was on. So, on Tuesday, we are having her land plowed and seeded for her. In two years, she will have a working cassava farm (very low maintenance cash crop), and she can rebuild her home. Praise the Lord! As a gift of her appreciation, she gave Tyler a chicken.
So these are the people we live with. Broken people that have - by the grace of God - made it through and continue to praise Jesus. We know much about the Bible, and they're just beginning to learn. We can teach them Scripture. They can teach us about the God of the Bible Who provides their daily bread when they are hungry, Who is their shield and strong tower when the enemy attacks, Who is their healer when there is no good doctor. I'm BLESSED to sit under this teaching, and BLESSED to be a part of their lives.

Jeffie, Do not allow the enemy to get you off track by listening to the words of people who do not KNOW that God called YOUR FAMILY to Uganda...HE CALLED YOU....that's all you need, not discouraging words from someone. We are praying against the attacks of the enemy. You are where you are supposed to be. Unless the Lord tells you otherwise, be ye steadfast, IMMOVABLE, always abounding in the work of the LORD! Love you guys! ~J. Powell
ReplyDeleteThankfully, the Holy Spirit is louder than any discouraging word. :)
Deletepreach it sister!
ReplyDeleteAlthough organizations and orphanages may be "remarkable", there is no small matter in God's service. The faith that your family live out continue to be a blessing to Deb and me. So, you can add two more that you minister to. May our heavenly Father continue to pour out his blessing on you all. Much love Bob and Deb.
ReplyDeleteSo blessed to read. Thank you for loving our Lord and His children. What a wonderful Father. The Lord brought to mind Ps 11. Matt
ReplyDeleteThank you and thank Catherine, Bismark and Julius for sharing their stories. What they faced as children, no one should ever have to face. They are incredibly resilient people, and wish them peace for their hearts and minds. As for the people who have asked you "what you are doing there?". You need those voices. Because they only reinforce your belief. If every said " your doing great work" well you start to believe it. These people remind you that you are in the right place "for you". And that you are working, and praying, and trying to make a difference in the world. When I was young I wanted to join the peace Corp, some acquaintances, made fun of my ideas. And I never did it. I will always regret that. So I live vicariously through your blog. If there is something that can be done to help with the farm. Please let me know. My name is Blythe.
ReplyDeleteYou minister to the Harden family, too.
ReplyDeleteLove, Linda
Hey, how are you guys?
ReplyDeleteKatrina, great to hear from you. I'm so glad to be able to keep in touch with you now. We're doing well. You can email us any time. jennifergooden83@gmail.com or tgooden7777@gmail.com
DeleteBelieve it or not, you are inspiring many to follow the Lord! I've learned two things that stand out from this post: First, don't wait for others to do what the Lord has asked me to do - otherwise I will never do it in some cases. I need to obey Him; hear Him; follow Him! And two, make the Word of God the number one source for my instruction in what I should do, how I should do it, and when I should do it.
ReplyDeleteBe encouraged! Paul instructs to both the Galatians and Thessalonians to not be weary in well doing. I can't figure out which one encourages me most.
But back to the topic. Your family is an enormous testimony!
Praying for you all.
The Borsa's
Geneva, NY
I'm learning these things daily too Bonnie (or Bruce)! It's a day by day choice to ABIDE in Christ... to stick right to Him... that's how it's possible to hear His voice. I need to be reminded of this OFTEN. Thanks for your encouraging words!!
DeleteWonderful story and testimony. Oh that God would use my life as he is using yours!
ReplyDelete