Friday, May 10, 2013

Birthday Girl Turns 5!

Yesterday was my due date. Still no baby. No problem-o. That means Abigail got a birthday all to herself! Jonah has a birthday next week. How on Earth we will have 3 out of 6 children born in the same week of the year, I have no idea... but it makes for a really fun week or 2! 


This girl. I am blessed to be her Momma. Here in Uganda, birthday presents are really not the main focus. It's the day and the child that we celebrate. I was asking her the other day what she wanted for a special birthday dinner. She thought for a REALLY long time, and said, "I don't care what we eat for dinner. I just want to be with you when you cook it." If I ever wore socks, this would have blessed 'em right off. So yesterday, we spent lots of time together. She chose a birthday dress and a birthday hair-do. She went with her Daddy -just them- to town. This includes a front seat ride and her own soda. (I know a front seat ride for a 5 year old might sound awful... it's just different here.) We had nail painting time which was a HUGE surprise since she didn't know I brought nail polish from America. Some things are good to keep hidden for a while. :)



I really wanted to bake her a cake. Guess what? IT WORKED!!! I prayed as I baked. Baking here means no electricity in the kitchen - no beaters, no regulation of temperature in a charcoal oven, no cake pan, no non-stick spray, no box mix or canned frosting. THANK YOU JESUS FOR THIS SWEET BLESSING! I can tell you right now, it's only by God's grace that we eat any good food here. We mixed frosting together, and licked spoons and the bowl. Delicious.



The day finished out with friends delivering cards and bubble gum. A few FaceTime calls from some much-loved special American friends and family. AND - She learned how to blow a bubble - ON HER BIG DAY! 


We had buttered noodles for dinner, (as per final request) and chocolate covered pineapple and bananas for dessert. A great day for sure. 

5 comments:

  1. Looks perfect! So perfect!

    Happy Birthday, Abigail!

    Love,
    The Hardens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Abigail, a special day for a very special young lady! We are praying for special days for you all! We also are praying for your "Special Delivery". Much love, God bless and keep you in the palm of His precious hand.
    Love,
    The Sulyas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for your delivery and protection from the snakes. Thanks so much for the cool updates and new coulter examples. As Americans we sometimes have NOT a clue!!
    Agape,
    Jack & Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Abigail Looks like you had a blessed day

    Love and prayers

    The Zweigle's

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAPPY BIRTHDAY HONEY, LOVE YOUR CAKE... GOD BLESS YOU XXXX

    ReplyDelete