Sunday, June 9, 2013

S t r e - e - e - t c h

In high school, I was a cheerleader. Don't let your daughters be cheerleaders, okay? Anyway, we'd have stretching buddies that would push us down to stretch us farther than we could go ourselves to gain flexibility. Painful, but profitable. These past three weeks have been a bit like that.

After Samuel was born, all was well. We were both doing great and then... BAM! Malaria knocked me down hard. Malaria sounds like a death sentence, and left untreated, it can be... but it's as common as a cold over here. Jonah had it the same time I did, but he bounced back with few symptoms. I've never been so painfully sick. I'm so thankful for our "clinic" in our upstairs. We're loaded with Malaria test kits and meds. The same time I was down with Malaria, the girl who helps with our laundry and lunch for the big brood of workers, came down with Typhoid. So between juggling a newborn and 5 other kiddos, making lunch for 20 people, hand washing lots and lots of laundry, and eating Ibuprofen like M&M's... Tyler and I survived a week of crazy.

As I was outside one morning washing the clothes, I heard an awful fight happening next to our house at the borehole. I peeked through the opening in our wall and saw a man seriously beating a woman to the ground until she was unconscious. This woman was collecting water for Zane, and apparently they were fighting over 10 liters of water. The man ran, and no one has seen him since that day. Most likely, he won't be back. I sat there stunned. Thoughts flooded. I've never seen someone beaten like that. This is everyday life to them. What are we doing here? I have nothing to offer. Did I just watch her die? Are we safe? America looks real nice right now. 

And the the Lord's response: Have you finished what I've sent you there to do?

We're here to disciple people. To train them in the ways of the Lord, and then send them out to go do that with someone else. It feels like we're just getting our feet wet. It takes a while to gain trust and really KNOW someone in order to begin that process. I know we're not finished. I know obedience is not always comfortable. With obedience comes trust. I trust that my Father in heaven knows what is good for me more than I do, and I want obey Him because of that. It brings peace and joy where there should be none.

And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, 
shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:7

That wasn't the end of those I'm done thoughts, but with any thought that is not in obedience to Christ, I had to reign it in. There is a battle we fight that is not with flesh and blood. Sometimes it's a spiritual battle, but this was a battle in my own mind against my own will. The Bible has instructions for EVERYTHING. God knew we'd struggle! He has a solution for those rotten thoughts. Even they must be in obedience to Christ. We can look good on the outside like we've got it all together. We are not completely in obedience to Christ if our thoughts are not in submission.

...Bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.
2 Corinthians 10:5

I was slowly getting better from the Malaria, and Tyler was truly exhausted. He has been the local ambulance, doctor, farm and construction manager, chef, pastor, grocery shopper, house help and Ultimate DADDY-O to the extreme. We were both drained completely in every aspect. Nothing more to pour out? Gotta tap into that well that never runs dry! Ty downloaded a pastors' conference online, and we sat and listened for a few days. I found Micah and Jonah's Bibles that were lost in a bin. They were so excited. We all clung to the Word and listened to Bible study after Bible study. One of our favorite people in all the world sent us a few sweet songs and we turned them up pretty loud and we WORSHIPPED GOD here in our hut. And we prayed.

That is what to do when all that is within you says ,"I'm done." It's just not really an option ever... no matter where you are or what you're doing. Where is there to go? Life continues and it's not always a walk through the park. Bottom line: We're not living for this life anyway. We live for the hope of glory. 

Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;
1 Peter 1:13

The woman from the borehole came to our house on Friday with her two little babies for a Bible Study. Her ribs are bruised. Maybe broken. She's going to be okay. Jonah and I have no more Malaria. Catherine battled a headache all week, but she is slowly getting over Typhoid. Baby Samuel is thriving. Tyler spent a whole day sleeping. All is well. 

We know people pray for us. We are pretty thankful.

6 comments:

  1. AMEN, Sister!~ Stretch and GROOOOOOOOOOOOW! So blessed the hear that the woman from the well is ok.....thank you, JESUS! love you guys a TON...praying praying praying!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been in my thoughts and prayers this past week, Jenn. I am encouraged by your testimony of how you are standing on His promises! They cannot fail though the howling winds of doubt and fear assail!
    Lisa Passero

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading your last post, The Lord put this on my heart for you.
    Joshua 3:13-17, "And it shall come to pass, as soon as the soles of the feet of the priests that bear the ark of the LORD, the Lord of all the earth, shall rest in the waters of Jordan, that the waters of Jordan shall be cut off from the waters that come down from above; and they shall stand upon an heap. And it came to pass, when the people removed from their tents, to pass over Jordan, and the priests bearing the ark of the covenant before the people; And as they that bare the ark were come unto Jordan, and the feet of the priests that bare the ark were dipped in the brim of the water, (for Jordan overfloweth all his banks all the time of harvest,) That the waters which came down from above stood and rose up upon an heap very far from the city Adam, that is beside Zaretan: and those that came down toward the sea of the plain, even the salt sea, failed, and were cut off: and the people passed over right against Jericho. And the priests that bare the ark of the covenant of the LORD stood firm on dry ground in the midst of Jordan, and all the Israelites passed over on dry ground, until all the people were passed clean over Jordan."
    Some times the steps are scary,but when the water heaps up the way is not only clear but on dry ground. Keep leading those Israelites.
    Love you guys & are praying Jack & Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a constant source of joy! Jesus in you!!

    Love,
    The Hardens

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praise God for your ministry, and your heart for the lost! I cant tell you how encouraging you all are, when we think things are so bad, we think of you guys and how you guys are completly sold out for Jesus and live in peace in a place where peace is foreign. We live in the world and have NO room to complain, we are praying for you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everytime I read your words and look at your pictures I'm encouraged to do better for the Lord. Your whole family touches my heart and you ALL are in my prayers.
    Julie Merica

    ReplyDelete