Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Greatest of These is Love

And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor... 
but have not love, it profits me nothing...
And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; 
but the greatest of these is love.
1 Corinthians 13

Rewinding to nine months ago...

A happy 20-something girl was still living with her mom, and "in love" with a man. She found out she was pregnant, and two weeks later, the man of her dreams was outta there. I've explained marriage before... basically no one can afford to get married. But that's a whole other story in itself. Anyway, she planned to kill him if she saw him... quite literally. This scared young woman decided not to tell her family about the child, but moved to a city a few hours away and planned for an abortion.  She got a job making the equivalent to 80 cents per day, working sun-up to sun-down, sleeping on the floor, and starving.

God intervened.

Her Jesus-loving brother called her, and told her not to get an abortion but just come home. Thankfully, she listened.

I didn't see the buckets of tears she told me she cried. I didn't see her fight the fears and choose LIFE for this child she still wasn't even sure she wanted. But when she arrived at my house for a Bible study that Friday evening, I saw a truly exhausted girl needing Jesus' love. When I asked her name, she barely whispered, "Pauleen."

We invited her to come back to our house to hear her baby's heart beat with our doppler. She came the next day. I was able to check the heart rate, and explain childbirth to her. She had no idea what to expect. She told me her story. I listened. She just needed an ear, not advice. We cried and we prayed.

Childbirth is a scary thing especially when medical resources are limited and a far cry from sanitary. Mortality rates are extremely high for both mom and baby. With no education... she didn't even know what a contraction was... and little family support, she was terrified.

Tyler offered to bring her to get an ultrasound... a luxury she couldn't pay for. It cost us $6.00. The ultrasound confirmed a healthy baby boy. "I really wanted a girl... and I don't like holding babies that are really small." We sat on a bench by the dirt road waiting for Tyler to pick us up. I handed Samuel to her and let her "practice." I told her she'd be a great mom.

She was afraid to go into labor at night because she would have no way to get to the hospital, and the doctors might just leave her until morning. Tyler assured her that he would bring her to the hospital no matter what time it was.

A few nights later, after my nice birthday date and dinner, we were getting ready for bed at 11:30. I heard a little voice calling from outside, "Tylah, Tylah!" I opened the door and saw Pauleen laying on the ground, accompanied by another neighbor.  Pauleen's family told her not to bother us, but she insisted, and started walking to our house in the dark by herself. A neighbor saw her walking, and joined her. We prayed. Tyler got her in the car, picked up her mom on the way to the hospital, and coached her through contractions while driving.

The next day, I was BLESSED to go meet that chubby little man. She asked me to name him... I changed the subject quickly. How can I name someone else's child?! She named him John Smith. Maybe I should have taken her up on that. Ha!

Sitting in the hospital bed... a thin piece of foam on a bed frame- no pillow... she said with a new peace all over her, "I like him now. I need to accept what God has planned. His way is perfect for me." YES!

She came over a few days ago with John Smith. She loves that baby. I'm blessed to have been able to help her. Even better though, Jesus has given me an open door to disciple this girl. Her faith is not strong. I see her as a delicate tea cup - precious, but easily broken. I follow Jesus' lead and deal gently with her in love. Please pray for Pauleen.



11 comments:

  1. Thank you, Jen, for your faithful postings. They are so HUGELY edifying to me. I wept over this story...God's love, mercy, and goodness to Paulene and baby " John Smith". And praise Jesus for her compassionate brother.
    P.S. Too, I like your last name "Good"-en! :-)
    We will pray for your precious "teacups".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I meant to wish you a Happy Birthday two Thursdays ago, but it got too late, I thought, so I'm glad to hear it sounded like a good evening. For anyone reading this, June 27, 2014... put it in your birthday book! :-) And Happy Belated Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement and birthday blessings!

      Delete
  3. I am always blessed reading your posts. I worked with your Mom back at NEC and connected through Facebook. My husband is a pastor and I have shared your story with him. He says you are his heroes. We admire your huge step of faith and obedience to follow the call as you have. We pray God's continued blessings over you, your children and the ones He places at your doorstep who need to hear and experience the good news. Truly your love for Him shows forth to those He has asked you to love on His behalf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Debbie. I'm glad you got reconnected with my mom. Thank you for praying for us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome story! Thank you for telling it! We love and miss you and are praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is absolutely beautiful Jen! What a blessed opportunity! -The Kay Family

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your life with us back in the states. you are a beautiful family just showing God's love to others. Great example of a True Christian. Praying for you all. God Bless you. sally Kenny

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful story! What a huge difference you made in her life because you were willing to reach out! Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely woman Pauleen is! Thank you for posting her picture with her blessed little baby. Praying for her and her precious John. Sending love to you, Jen. Linda

    ReplyDelete