Thursday, September 19, 2013

A Mission for Souls

A few nights ago, after an insanely busy day, and showering myself and 5 shivering children in freezing cold water, locking up the kitchen and front door, sweeping the sand off the sheets, and finally tucked in bed, I heard some strange rustling next to me. I carefully reached under the mosquito net to get my glasses and solar powered lantern. Just as I expected, it was a frog. Scooping frogs out of the doorway has become a nightly event. Somehow this little bugger found his way all the way up near the head of my bed. Tyler said, "How in the world did you know there was a frog next to our bed?" I guess I have grown to expect the unexpected! Thought I could give you that picture as just a reality check of what we're really doing here in Northern Uganda... battling frogs and lizards and mice and spiders and DIRT is everyday life.

Anyway... on to something way more interesting... God is doing something awesome here in Kitgum, Uganda, I tell you! We are seeing lives changed and people falling in love with Jesus. We are REAPING great things from a small investment of time. As you may know, the Lord has shown us to invest in a few lives and just love these people like crazy.

The Lord hath done great things for us; whereof we are glad.
Psalm 126:3

When we first made the decision to follow Christ, Tyler and I were on the receiving end of this kind of love. Our pastor and his sweet wife would stay up with us going through the Scriptures until the pastor's wife got "birdie eyes" and had to go to bed. We were clueless when it came to spiritual truths, and we NEEDED to learn God's Word. They gave and gave and gave of themselves more than anyone I have ever met. They taught us a lot more than words on a page. They taught us that you can't out-give God.

The generous soul will be made rich,
And he who waters will also be watered himself.
Proverbs 11:25

So some nights Tyler is up until way past my bedtime going through Scriptures with some really hungry men... usually Julius. These guys want to know their Bibles. They don't have the Internet to look up commentaries or listen to great teachings. They have a Bible. It is rich and full of life-giving words. It takes time to teach the Bible and pour into a life. Our time is worth it.

Tyler asked Julius to teach this morning at church since the passage was about polygamy. It is normal for a Ugandan man to have many wives. Tyler felt that it would be better to have someone teach on the subject who could really relate to the people. We had no idea until halfway through his teaching that Julius' mom was killed by her husband's second wife. Julius grew up in a family burned by the results of polygamy. The message was straight from the Lord. Tyler's time spent teaching this man one on one has been worth every minute. God is doing a great work in his life, and eventually he will be a pastor.

We have Church and Prison Ministry on Sunday, Prayer on Monday, Bible Studies at our house on Wednesday and Friday, a Bible Study in a different village on Thursday, Choir Practice on Saturday, and devotional time every weekday morning for our team. I've been praying about Women's Ministry. I don't think another time of Study is necessary. After a while of being on the receiving end, it's time to give.

 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; 
as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 
John 13:34

Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations
Matthew 28:19

So that's the plan. There are 5 or 6 ladies that are joining me in this mission. We are each praying for one or two ladies, and committing to focus our attention on them for a year. We have no power to change a person's heart for God, but we can love these women regardless of the condition of their hearts.

By this all will know that you are My disciples, 
if you have love for one another.
John 13:35

In explaining this mission to Catherine, (who I've been pouring into for almost a year now) she said, "People have problems. It will take some time to get to know their hearts and really pray together." Time is the best thing we can offer because it truly is a sacrifice for all of us. Some days it seems like a miracle that I found two minutes to brush my teeth. Last night Tyler was busy disciplining the neighbor's child. I was cooking dinner one-handed while nursing the baby, and carrying Elisabeth on my back. Lilah had an accident, and needed to be cleaned up. An old man came by begging for money. (We don't hand out money to beggars for lots of reasons.) The three oldest kiddos were cleaning the house after a toddler tornado went through. Have I mentioned how thankful I am to have Grandma here?!? Anyway, a pregnant young girl I invited to come over the day before arrived in time for the chaos. Do I tell her I don't have time? Nope. It's worth setting everything aside for 10 minutes to encourage her in the Lord and give her some baby clothes and good soap. I have no idea what she really thinks of Jesus. I won't know until I gain her trust. People don't usually break down their heart's security walls after just learning your name and get real with you. It takes prayer, sincere love, and lots of time.

I'm forever grateful for the people who laid their lives down and preferred the state of my soul above their own comfort and time... just like Jesus. What do you have to offer? God doesn't ask for anything fancy. He just wants empty people willing to be filled by Him in order to show the world how much He loves them. 

For God so loved the world that 
He gave His only begotten Son, 
that whoever believes in Him should not perish 
but have everlasting life.
John 3:16

2 comments:

  1. Catherine is beautiful, Jen. I am praising God that you are who you are in Christ! He radiates in and through you. I am thankful to be your sister in Jesus. Love, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, Everytime you write and share how the Lord is working in your lives, you are "laying down your life and preferring the state of our souls above your own comfort and time...just like Jesus." Praise the Lord for your humble service...we are blessed and encouraged. With love, Marty and Cathy

    ReplyDelete