When she went to the clinic and found that the daily nausea was not from Typhoid, but a new baby, we ALL rejoiced. I was able to use some of the supplies I had from my last pregnancy to help her. I checked her baby's heartbeat every couple of weeks with my doppler, gave her my prenatal vitamins, checked her blood pressure, and prayed for the birth and life of this new little somebody every Monday night at our women's prayer group. But when she asked me to attend the birth, I was blown away. Me? I can read numbers on a blood pressure cuff and look them up on Google, but I don't really know what I'm doing... especially delivering a baby. But hey, Tyler did it before, right?
Days came and passed. Her due date was long gone. We went to town for "drive-thru" dinner that consisted of popcorn, peanuts and yogurt - all found at different stores throughout the town. When we arrived back home an hour later, Julius came walking right up to the car before any of us got out. He wasn't home when Caroline's pain got serious enough for her to say something about it, and she left on a motorcycle taxi for the hospital! I grabbed a backpack, threw a solar lantern in it in case power was out at the hospital, a giant water bottle, and my ipad because my camera battery was dead.
We were driving in the dark when I noticed a backpack that looked just like mine, and realized it was Catherine wearing my backpack. Caroline was in front of her, dressed to a T, riding behind the driver. We paid the "boda" (taxi) man, and zoomed her the rest of the way to the hospital.
Upon arrival, the nurses got Caroline settled in a laboring room, which had only a wooden stool, a square bed a little smaller than Sam's crib, and a garbage can overflowing from the last patient who apparently needed an IV, as the tubing was hanging out of the top. A sheer sheet separated her room from the "NICU" where two teeny babies laid under heat lamps fighting for each breath.
The nurses insisted Caroline drink this really sweet tea that made her gag. They said it would lessen her pain and make the baby come quicker. She couldn't choke it down. I told her the truth. No tea in the world can make labor pain go away or make a baby come quicker. I considered the dirty water it was made from, hoped it was boiled for a while and didn't include any weird tinctures, and drank it for her when the nurses walked away so they would leave her alone. Maybe not the most honest thing to do, but come on...
Caroline was doing great and staying under control. It was my first time seeing someone else trying with all her might to relax in spite of agony. My first time holding the hand trying to squeeze the pain out through her fingertips. One deep breath in, and in rhythm breathing out, "Yecu, Yecu." (Jesus) I couldn't have been more honored than to be crouched down with her on that concrete floor encouraging my friend to just keep going. Just keep breathing.
Isn't that what our job is? All of us? To find someone to encourage, allow them to squeeze our hand tight, and remind them to just keep going. Take a big breath in, and breathe out Jesus, and it will all be worth it if you just hang on a little longer.
In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.
John 16:33b
...Encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.
1 Thessalonians 5:11
Catherine was there too since she went along for the ride on the motorcycle. She was really helpful for translation and hospitality. The Lord put together a great team that night. I could hear a doctor speaking English over by the babies under the lamps. She was talking about how necessary oxygen is for the brain... the first breath can bring fluid to the lungs... I couldn't make out much of what she was saying. I was praying the Lord would just breathe life into those teeny ones. A while later, Catherine whispered, "That baby just died." I heard the doctor say they needed to get the mom. A few minutes later, the young momma entered the room... you can imagine the cries...
How can I process this right now? Jesus? I'm not okay now. How can Caroline process this? I've never seen Julius look so scared. I could hear Catherine sniffling in the corner of the room. I didn't dare look at her or I knew I would lose it. And then all of a sudden, it was as if my emotion switch was turned off, and the Lord pushed me into GO mode, I looked Caroline in the eyes, who was nearing the end, and looking desperate. I said, "We're here right now. Focus on what you're doing. Jesus is here, and you're about to meet your new baby. Let's keep going." And from there on out, she was golden.
At one point five nurses were in the room drilling me with questions. At first they didn't believe me that I had six children. But when Catherine convinced them it was true, one nurse said, "Do white ladies go through this pain in childbirth too?" It's amazing how much of a divide there is. Before I could even answer, Catherine said, "The only thing different is her skin. Our blood is the same. Everything else is the same." They asked me if Americans all deliver their babies under water since they heard that somewhere. And how do they find a big enough basin? One of the nurses explained it must be something like a swimming pool...
They yelled at Caroline some more about not drinking all of her tea (oops), and she better not lay down or she would fall asleep, and finally a beautiful little lady graced us with her long awaited presence. And she is perfect.
Psalm 48:1



Sooo sweet, wonderful story :0)
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful testimony of God's grace and love for all His people. What a wonderful blessing to know you,Jen, became a tool in our Lord's hands. We will pray for the mom who lost her baby. Our prayers are with you. <*777><
ReplyDelete