Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Following Christ's Example

We have the wonderful privilege of knowing a most blessed couple who have walked an extremely difficult road. Jesus beams right through them both. The emotional and physical strain on these two seems unbearable to me, but they have such joy and confidence in the Lord through it. How do they do it??

Tyler and I were talking about this beautiful couple that goes through so much hardship day in and day out. He made a good point. Sometimes God places a person right in the heat of a trial. Sometimes, God asks the person to willingly step into it for Christ's sake. Jesus did this on the Cross.


Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done
Luke 22:42

God the Father didn't force Jesus to go to the Cross. The Roman soldiers didn't force Him either.


Regarding His life, Jesus said, "No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself..." (John 10:18)


When Jesus was on this Earth, He was fully God and fully man. He prayed to God the Father because His flesh desired its own will. I don't understand it. I believe it because God's Word is TRUTH. The very next verse after Jesus surrenders His will, it says in Luke 22:43, "And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him."


There is strength in the surrender! Once WE get out of the way, God can use us! When we fully surrender our own desires, ambitions, fears, entire lives to the Lover of our Souls, He gives us the strength to do His will just like He did for Jesus.


Jesus said, "My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness." (1 Corinthians 12:9) Surrendering your own will is a humble thing. It is confessing your weakness and absolute dependence on Him. If we are leaning on our own understanding, and kicking against His will, filling up our lives with our own plans - even if they seem good - His strength cannot be made perfect. We are not receiving the gifts of grace He wants to bless us with.


Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up. 
James 4:10

God doesn't ask all of us to willingly step right into the fiery furnace with Him. I don't know how easy or hard this road is going to be. He's asked me to step into it anyway. I trust that His grace will be sufficient for the journey. I pray that the beauty of Jesus and all of His love would flow through our family as we follow Him and willingly take each step in faith.

Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.
John 4:34

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking of Jesus in the Garden JUST TONIGHT. So beautiful, Jen.

    Love, Linda

    ReplyDelete