Saturday, June 2, 2012

Bible Club






















Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not forbid them; for such is the kingdom of heaven."
Matthew 19:14

Tuesday's Bible Club was a gift straight from Heaven to Farmington I tell you! What a humbling honor to be the first to speak Truth into a child's life. The kids showed up with a zillion questions and wide open hearts - ready to soak in all they could. I prayed and prayed and prayed about where to start with these children who have no concept of God. I knew I had to tell them the Gospel. Every time. The whole story. Step by step from Creation to the Cross. Review and review.

A friend of mine has been leading a Bible Club in the public schools for a few years. I explained how the Lord was leading me to teach. She said, "Well... that's the Wordless Book!" Apparently, Charles Spugeon invented it as he was presenting the gospel to several hundred children in 1866. Colors are used to represent the "pages" of this gospel story of Jesus. Amy Charmichael used to drive around an ox-cart with a flag of colors on the back. She stopped in villages in India to preach the gospel to the children. I decided to go for it.


The kids seemed to really understand God's plan of salvation by using these colors. When one boy showed up, he was reading my posters, and asked, "What's a sinner? A good guy? We're all good guys?" He was dead serious. By the end of it, he was asking me how to stop using God's name in a bad way when all the other kids in his class do??

The next day was Wednesday. We were getting ready for church when the crowds were at the door wanting us to come out and play. I told them we can't come out to play, but they could come to church with us if their parents agreed. The parents all allowed the children to come. We filled up every seat in our 12 passenger van, and we walked into the church with a parade!! PRAISE THE LORD!!

Tyler stayed with the children during worship time. He said that one boy was even crying during the worship... in a good way. The little seven year old told me later he didn't know why he was crying. He said, "The songs weren't even sad!"

I can see God's hand of preparation in all of this. This colorful gospel teaching will cross cultures. Also, we're learning how to take in a bunch of extra children, but still keep our own family close and different. This is on a small scale now, but I know we need this training before we have a village of needs knocking at our door to "come out and play."


Thank you thank you thank you for praying!! Please keep on praying!! The Lord has given us such favor with these little ones. Please pray for the salvation of their parents as well. Tomorrow is Sunday. Pray for another bunch to come and hear the Words of Life.



1 comment: