Thursday, December 13, 2012

We Made It!

First off, thank you so much to all of you prayer warriors! We have been so blessed by God's grace in adjusting to this new life. This is actually my first chance I've had to sit down and write a blog in the past week! Our days are packed full, and amazingly, we're all holding up quite well.

So... what's a day look like here in Kitgum Uganda? Wake around 7-ish. Actually, I have no idea of what time it is anymore... I just kind of roll with the day... Anyway, you can't depend on the rooster around here. He's confused and crows all night long. After waking up- brush teeth, get dressed, make beds, and walk down the path - about a 3 minute walk along a papaya farm with a baby on the back and holding a chubby toddler hand- to where Zane, Bri (the girl caring for Zane's children as Summer awaits their arrival in Oregon) and 11 children stay. We eat breakfast together in the "sitting room." The sitting room is basically an open-air hut without a door, chairs all along the round wall. The children sit on a mat on the floor, adults sit on chairs with bowls/plates on laps. We pray, eat, sing, and have a bit of Bible time together. After devotions, it's time for laundry, sweep and mop, care for the 16 children all under the age of 9, etc. The "house help" makes lunch, which is always beans with some kind of carb... Wait. Let me stop there. The food here has been nothing short of delicious. Every single meal. Anyway, have lunch, play INSIDE with children (this will probably be school time once we start again). It is too hot at this time of year to be outside midday. Bri cooks dinner over a propane burner, and then wash up for bed. Showers are absolutely smack-in-the-face-freezing. But, at the end of a long day in the heat, and red dirt covering everyone head to toe, no one is allowed in bed without a shower!

The culture has been a bit more of a shock that the heat I think. The people are extremely friendly and polite. It's hard to know what is disrespectful. Yesterday, Tyler was sitting down with a few men chatting. I think I was being rude by walking up to join them. Oops! The children were expected to sit and be silent as the men hung out. My children stick out like a sore thumb... even if their skin were black, they would. They speak during meals, wear shoes in huts, forget "excuse me, please, thank you", slop their food, whine, etc. All that said, we're all learning. :) 

 So... here's a few pictures and a video. Enjoy!

Our new home. Locals are in awe of how big it is. Truly a palace for this area.
On our bedroom wall - Thanks Judy!
Mommy & Daddy's Room
Kids' room - Double bunk beds.
Night time reading under mosquito nets.


In the shade... and only getting hotter...


A load ( or 2) a day keeps Mount Washmore away. (Construction behind me - building a wall.)
Legos in our "Upper Room."

Water relay-type game Zane came up with. 

Trampoline in the middle of the papaya farm.
Girls will be girls.

Please pray as Zane and Bri will be leaving with three of the children in about 2 weeks. Zane will be back in February, Bri is staying the States. Two of Zane's children have sickle cell anemia, and can get real sick real quick without lots of medical attention. Zane is praying about sending them to stay with family friends - other missionaries- while he is gone since we don't know what we're doing yet. We will be holding down the fort with another woman named Theresa and a guy named Ryan. Please pray for clear direction, wisdom, and HELP in caring for all of the children. Although 16 children sounds like a really overwhelming day, I have never seen such well behaved, respectful children in all my life. Because of that, it's not quite an overwhelming task. It's a really fun day! Thanks for your prayers. I will keep updating as a minute or two of down time comes my way. 

11 comments:

  1. Glory to God, you guys!!!! It's so amazing to see and hear all that the Lord is doing. Your home looks like just that, HOME!!!! (well, down here, anyway!) We pray for you every day, and some days more than twice! Gosh, we love you....so blessed we have served together...so blessed we are family through Jesus. GOD IS SOOOOO AMAZING!~Jude

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hut looks amazing!!!!!!!! Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the update. Love you! Prayers continue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So incredibly exciting what the Lord is doing! Love, linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. keeping you in prayer. I can't wait to show this to Meggan.... (my 9 year old). Every time I find myself in prayer for you...before you went..and even now. the Lord gives me one word. "Blessed"
    Susan Parker

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a blessing to hear from you guys! Thanks for the update! Missing you all immensely...but blessed to see what God is doing with you precious family and willing hearts.
    God Bless,
    The Kays

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are all praying for you! We love your home ! Praying God's grace and blessing upon you all! Micah - Caleb loves your hair cut! - the Pauly Family

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love you guys and miss you very much. The bride of Christ is praying for you and thankful to the Lord for the blessing you are to us. Continue to be like children before our Father. And please continue to pray for us as we try to love people here in the city. Talk with you soon Lord willing!

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting! I'm so happy for you guys that you seem to be settling in so well! I might be in for just as much of a shock when we get there-I thought your kids were some of the most well behaved kids I'd ever seen! Praying for you guys!
    -Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely beautiful, I know I didn't get to know you guys all that well when you were here and I'm so sorry for that but you all are such an encouragement!! God is so good and I am so glad to hear your settling in!! We love you and you are all in our prayers!! Sara and Nathan Eisenberg

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank You for sharing, Beautiful Pictures. I loved hearing about a day in The Gooden Home.. My heart is blessed for all of you, I pray daily for you's. That was a good Idea to bring Lego's, it always keeps children busy.. Loved the Video, what were they doing with the water? May God keep his arms around all of you.. God Bless, Your Sister In Jesus, Marlene

    ReplyDelete