So here's the great picture that had me in culture shock all day:
It was 95 degrees out. I am 7 months pregnant with Elisabeth strapped to my back, holding Lilah's hand as we venture through the dusty, uneven terrain packed with people, constantly checking on the other 3 to make sure we don't lose a child. Tyler has a 50 kg (110 pounds) bag of rice on his shoulder, hardly able to breathe... making our way to the car parked down the ally and around the corner.
Once we get to the car, this man came to me and said, "Madam, what are you thinking? You should be ashamed! You are having your man carry that load for you!" He was dead serious. I looked at him in shock and said, "I am carrying a baby on the back and a baby in the front!" Tyler said, "She is carrying my sixth child. You leave her alone. She has carried enough for me."
I can't tell you how blessed I am to see our neighbor Julius playing soccer (futbol) with his little boy, or carrying around his sweet baby so his wife can have a break. I'm blessed to have a husband who is willing to work hard all day and refuse to hire people (for pennies!) in order to be a Biblical example of what a man should be for his wife and family.
I keep wondering why God sent us here.. waiting for something BIG to happen. I think I've been waiting for that for years! I bet Corrie TenBoom or George Mueller never thought they were doing anything BIG for God. They were just living in obedience to Christ day by day.
TODAY is the day we serve the Lord and carry out His will for our lives. TODAY is the day we shine the light of Christ to a dark and dying world. TODAY is the day we choose to be mocked for going against the grain. TODAY could be the last.
Amen!!! Preach it sister. The hardest thing to be is insignificant for the Lord...
ReplyDeleteHey Danny! This is such a small world...to think We would find you on our special family blog :) And to you, Jen, it is truly awesome to see our Lord answer our prayers for you all...always blown away by how God is working PTL
DeleteJody and Charlie
I am praising God for you and Tyler.
ReplyDeleteThe world programs us for "big" things But the Lord teaches in many things about being content with the little things.
ReplyDeleteMatthew 18:1-5, "At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven? And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them, And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me." Little children are the smallest but greatest teachers of God's agape and truth. Love you guys!! J&J
Thanks for that reminder Jack and Jan! Great wisdom in simple truths. Love you guys!
ReplyDeleteHannah and I just read this are convicted, sobered and blessed by your examples. Praise God. (Jen, you have a real gift for writing. Can't wait to read the next entry).
ReplyDelete-Laura & Hanna
Way to go Tyler! Keep up the good work you guys :) Love and miss you all... -Josh, Kaily and Rachel
ReplyDeleteWhat a blessing you guys continue to be to us. Your humility and Tyler's heart will undoubtedly affect that man and many others. Much love, Bob and Deb.
ReplyDeleteI love you guys...I just put a link to your blog on mine through the church. You can see it at http://secludedplace.blogspot.com I hope that's ok...I love the Lord in and through you guys and it's sooooooo good for the body of Christ. I wish I could hug each of you today. Missing your faces and little giggles down the hall, but blessed by everything concerning you.
ReplyDeleteNo problem at all for linking us to you! Love you Shannon. I hope all is well with you. Feels kind of like I've been trained so well by you and yours... now it's time to put it all in action. Thanks for investing in us!!
DeleteHi Tyler,Jeffie, and family,
ReplyDeleteThis is Julie Merica(clinedinst)David and Lois' grandaughter. I just wanted to comment to tell you guys how proud I am of you guys. It takes
special people to do the work you guys are doing and I love to look at these pics and stories. Its so uplifting spiritually.
Love and prayers,
Julie Merica and family